Richard E. Fowlks, Attorney at Law

How do you request a child support modification?

There is more to getting a child support modification than telling the court that you can no longer afford to make full and timely payments.

You need to take a variety of steps to make this happen, including the following:

  • Take fast action: Once you realize you need a child support modification, you should learn more about the process, as waiting any amount of time can make your situation worse.
  • Talk to the other parent: It's possible that the other parent may agree to a child support modification, which will make it much easier for you to obtain court approval.
  • Stay current: Don't assume that it's okay to stop making payments since you're in the process of seeking a modification. You should stay current, to the best of your ability, even if it means putting stress on other areas of your finances.
  • Document your financial changes: In short, you need to prove that your situation has changed to the point that you are no longer able to make your payments in full. Examples include proof of unemployment or a serious injury keeping you out of work.

Once you do all these things, you're in position to file child support modification documents with the appropriate family law court.

If you have a good reason to request a child support modification, don't wait a single day to learn more about the process and your legal rights. There is no guarantee that the court will approve, but you won't know for sure until you take the necessary steps and provide all the required information.

Source: Nov. 30, -0001

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Tell Us How We Can Help

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office location

Richard E. Fowlks, Attorney at Law
1607 N.E. 41st Avenue
Portland, OR 97232

Toll Free: 888-779-8837
Phone: 503-505-7941
Fax: 503-249-8500
Portland Law Office Map