Richard E. Fowlks, Attorney at Law

Child support payments can be co-mingled with household funds

As the parent who pays child support, you might want to know where the money is going. Many individuals find it difficult to hand money over to their ex, even if it is for their children. Unfortunately, there might not be an opportunity for you to find out how your child's other parent is spending the money. We know this is difficult to accept, but don't let it stop you from making payments as ordered by the court.

One thing that many people tend to forget about child support is that it can be co-mingled with the recipient parent's other funds. They don't have to hold the financial support for the child in a different account. They are allowed to use the money for anything that is necessary for the child, which can include utilities, mortgage payments, school costs and other expenses. While it might look like your ex is using the money for self-serving purposes, this likely isn't the case.

Another factor for you to remember in these cases is that you can turn to the court for help to ensure that the money is going to the children. The court likely won't interfere with the matter unless you have valid concerns about the children not getting necessities. You would need to prove this to the court, however, in order to have any changes made.

We know that you might have some questions about your child support payments, especially about your options if you can't pay for some reason. We can also help you better understand how you can negotiate for a change in your support order when the situation warrants it. Please explore our site for more information or contact us directly.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Tell Us How We Can Help

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office location

Richard E. Fowlks, Attorney at Law
1607 N.E. 41st Avenue
Portland, OR 97232

Toll Free: 888-779-8837
Phone: 503-505-7941
Fax: 503-249-8500
Portland Law Office Map