Richard E. Fowlks, Attorney at Law

Keep proof that you paid your child support

Paying child support isn't something that most people look forward to doing. If you are ordered to pay, remember that this is a way that you can show your children that you support them even if you can't be there in person on a daily basis. Even if you have a positive attitude about this, you should still ensure that you are taking steps to protect yourself as you pay.

If you are paying via automatic garnishments from a paycheck, you won't have to worry about some of these because you will have the check stubs to show that it was taken out. This is your receipt to show that you are paying it. Once it is taken out of your check, it goes into a clearinghouse where it will be disbursed to your ex.

If you make support payments for your children directly to your ex, you need to retain proof that you are making the payments. This is so that if your ex claims that they didn't get the money, you can show that they did. One thing that might make this easier is to open a dedicated checking account just for child support. You can then write your ex checks from that account. You will have the canceled check to show you paid. You might ask your ex to do the same, so you can just transfer money from your account to theirs, which can be proven by the transfer record.

If you have to pay in cash, make sure that you get receipts. These need to be written and signed by your ex. It should include the date, time, location, amount and payment method. Put these in a safe place, so you have them if you are ever accused of not paying.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Tell Us How We Can Help

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office location

Richard E. Fowlks, Attorney at Law
1607 N.E. 41st Avenue
Portland, OR 97232

Toll Free: 888-779-8837
Phone: 503-505-7941
Fax: 503-249-8500
Portland Law Office Map