Planning For The Future With Wills And Trusts
Taking time to plan for your future before there is a conflict minimizes the stress and hardships your family will have to deal with after something has happened to you. At Richard E. Fowlks, Attorney at Law, we can help make this process a seamless one.
Serving clients in Portland and beyond, we handle estate planning and related legal issues such as drafting wills and creating trusts. Oregon attorney Richard Fowlks has more than 40 years of legal experience, which includes a focus on estate planning, estate administration and in business law.
Why Draft A Will Or Create A Trust?
Even a simple will can relieve hardship for your family after your passing. In some cases a will covers everything you need, and in other cases you may require additional estate planning tools such as trusts or guardianships.
Here are a few potential benefits of having a will:
- You get to decide who inherits your assets instead of leaving it up to the state of Oregon.
- You get to choose who will be responsible for the ultimate distribution of your assets and handling of your estate affairs.
- You can appoint the person you choose as the guardian of your minor children, ensuring they will be cared for after your death.
- You will provide your family with a clear record of your wishes, so they don’t have to guess. This can reduce a significant amount of contention and stress for those you leave behind.
Here are a few potential benefits of creating a trust:
- Your family can avoid the probate process, which can be very lengthy, complex and costly.
- You can preserve your privacy. While a will is a public record, a trust allows you to distribute your assets confidentially.
- If you have significant assets, you can often reduce estate taxes through a trust, because money that goes into a trust is typically not taxable.
When you come to our Portland attorney for wills and trusts, he will listen to what your goals are and explain to you what types of options are available for you to reach your goal. Mr. Fowlks has experience creating testamentary trusts, special needs trusts, revocable living trusts and more.
Contests And Disputes Over Wills, Trusts And Estates
While it is everyone’s wish to eliminate conflict after a loved one’s passing, conflict can arise. Our lawyer handles contested wills, contested trusts and estates. Mr. Fowlks is a litigator and experienced negotiator who will use his knowledge and courtroom experience to help resolve your dispute as quickly as possible.
Contact Our Multnomah County Lawyer For Help Today
Please contact Richard E. Fowlks, Attorney at Law, to book an appointment to discuss your needs for a will, trust, or advice on estate planning. We offer free initial phone consultations and will schedule meetings at a time that is convenient for you. Contact us online or call 503-505-7941 or 888-779-8837 to get started.