Guiding You To

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law
  4.  » 
  5. Divorce
  6.  » Spousal Support/Alimony

When Is Spousal Support Awarded?

No matter your assets, divorce takes a financial toll on separating couples. In some cases, one spouse is at a significant financial disadvantage after a divorce. In these cases, a judge may award spousal support, sometimes referred to as alimony.

Factors a judge will consider may include:

  • Spouse’s ability to become self-sufficient
  • Time or training needed to become self-sufficient
  • Spouse’s ability to make alimony payments
  • Current standard of living
  • Length of marriage

Whether you are concerned about receiving or paying support, you can turn to the team at Richard E. Fowlks, Attorney at Law, for straightforward advice. We have more than 40 years of experience advocating for men and women regarding alimony. Rest assured, we will work for your financial well-being if a spousal support plan is applicable.

Contact us today to schedule a consultation.

Types Of Spousal Support In Oregon

In Oregon, there are three types of spousal support. This includes:

  • Transitional: Short-term support (typically one to three years) to help the other spouse pursue further education or training in order to be self-sufficient
  • Compensatory: Support awarded in situations where a spouse has given up his or her chances for career development or education, for the other spouse’s future
  • Maintenance: Long-term (and sometimes indefinite) support for someone who is likely not able to support himself or herself after the divorce

Depending on your circumstances, you may be able to receive or be obligated to pay all three types of support for a certain amount of time. When you work with our team, we will take the time to fully explain how you will be affected by support laws in Oregon.

Contact An Experienced Oregon Lawyer To Learn More

We are prepared to discuss your case with you and answer any questions you may have. To schedule an appointment, please email us, or call 503-505-7941 or 888-779-8837. We are located in Portland and work with clients throughout the tri-county area.